My Polyvore.

Saturday, February 5, 2011

Hist last - a one-shot.

I'm quite pessimistic when it to my stories, but I have to say, I quite like this one. It's dedicated to my lovely friend Maril.

As the wind whirled outside, flipping the tiny snowflakes back and forth, a little girl, of only about six, had just woken up from a nightmare. The little girl, with long blonde hair and pale skin whipped a tear from her rosy cheek. She looked around the room, she couldn’t see any monsters, but just to make sure, she flicked on the light that sat on the night stand next to her little bed.

Even though she knew nothing was there, she still was scared. She sat up in her bed, wondering whether she should wake up her great grandmother or not. In the end, she put on her dressing gown and slippers and headed down the hall way to her great grandmothers room.

She was staying at her great grandmother’s house for the winter. She loved staying at her great grandmother’s house, it was her favourite place to be and because she got to stay with the best person in the world.

“Nanny?” The little girl nudged her great grandmother gently.

“Nanny?” She called a little louder.

“What is it Lola?” The little old lady asked, waking from her slumber.

“I had a nightmare.” Lola replied slightly embarrassed.

“That’s nothing to be ashamed of. Everyone had nightmares. How about I make some hot chocolate?”

Lola nodded, her lovely smile returning to her face.

Her great grandmother was the ripe old age on ninety-two. She was small, had short greyed hair, a few holes could be seen where she once had facial piercings and she was the most caring person you would know.

The little old lady slowly got up, put her dressing gown and slippers on and her and her great granddaughter made their way into the kitchen.

A small flame could be seen flickering in the old fire place. She bent near the fire.

“It’s alright dear, I can do it.” She replied as Lola tried to help her with the wood. Once the fire was burning nicely, the little old lady made for the kitchen – beckoning for Lola to take a seat.

She made two cups with hot chocolate with two marshmallows in each and she and her great granddaughter took up sat on a small couch in front of the fire, sipping their hot chocolates.

“Nanny?” The little girl asked after taking a rather large sip of her drink.

“Yes dear?” The little old lady asked.

“Can you please tell me story?”

“Which one, Cinderella, Goldilocks and The Three Bears? Or how about Snow White, you like that one.”

“No Nanny, I want one of your stories.”

“Oh well, I think I’ll tell you my favourite one of all.”

“What’s it called Nanny?”

“It’s called His last.”

“Have you ever told me this before?” The little girl asked.

“No. You’re very special because I’ve never told this story to anyone before. Now, shall I begin?”

The little girl nodded frantically, nearly tipping some of her hot chocolate out.

“‘Many years ago, much before you, your mother or your grandmother was born, when I had just turned twenty, I was a nurse. It was 1940 and the world was at war, for the second time. There were a lot of soldiers getting hurt so I was called to go to a look after them at special hospitals near where they were fighting.

One day, a lot of soldiers came in because there had just been a really big battle and our side lost. It was crazy because there were so many people moving in and out of the isles. I had never seen the hospital so full.

I was told to look after quite a few soldiers, but remember this one man in particular. He was a very handsome; he had short blonde hair – a little like yours – tan skin and beautiful brown eyes. And though he was lying in bed when I first met him, I could tell he was very tall.


“What was wrong with him Nanny, why was he in bed?” Lola asked.

“He had gotten shot in a battle and his leg was badly injured.”

“Oh no!” The little girl gasped.

“‘Now, he was a very strong man, so he was alright. A day after he came and the when the Dr’s said that he didn’t need their care, I started to look after him. I remember I had to put some medicine onto his leg to help it heal every single day.

At every bed, there was a clip board which had the soldiers name and things about them. I grabbed the clip board at the end of his bed and read aloud “Tom Hayes.”

“That’s my name and what’s yours, little lady?” Tom asked.

I grabbed all the medicine that I needed and pulled back his covers before I replied, “Maril.”

“What a lovely name –” He stopped as he let out a small yelp as I dabbed some medicine onto his leg.

“Sorry.”

“ – for a lovely lady.” He finished with a smile.

The reason I remember him is because I knew when I saw him; it was love at first sight. After a few days, I realised he wasn’t just handsome, he was sweet and funny.

“I think I know why I was shot.” I remember him telling me one day.

“Why Tom?” I asked.

“Because they saw my face and they thought, ‘What a gorgeous man,’ and though they were given orders to kill all enemies, they let me off because they fell in love.”

He often told us things like that, the nurses, Dr’s, anyone who’d listen, but mainly me.

When there was nothing to do, I always talked to him. We could talk for ages, we were best of friends, though I thought much more of him.

“Maril?” He said to me another time as I was changing his bandages.

“Yes?”

“I think there’s something wrong with my lips.”

“Really? What’s the matter?”

“Oh, I don’t think it’s too serious, but just in case, a kiss might make them better.”

Some of the other soldiers that were listening laughed.

I blushed because I really did want to kiss him.

“Come on now, you can’t leave me hanging.” He said after I didn’t reply.

I pretended that it was joke and kissed him, though it was the best feeling.

Now, just a few days before he was allowed to go home, I was called to his bed side. I was quite angry because the night shift nurse woke me up in the middle of the night and told me he wanted to see me, not because something was wrong, but because he wanted to tell me something. None the less, I went to see him.

The room was dark –except for the moon shining through the windows – because all of the other soldiers were asleep.

“You wanted to see me?” I said in a slightly angry tone.

“Yes, but aren’t you glad to see my beautiful face?” He said giving me his cheeky smile.

I couldn’t help but agree with what he said, he looked especially handsome tonight. I shook my head but smiled.

“Maybe you should sit down.” He told me.

I was puzzled, but I agreed, sitting down on the side of his bed.

“Maril, you’re one of the greatest girls I’ve met, and I’ve met quite a few.”

“Really? Well thank you.” I told him.

“Don’t mention it.” He smiled once again. He liked to smile a lot.

“Now, you’re probably wondering why I called you here.” He said.

“Yes, I am.”

“Well I really don’t want to say this.”

“Say what?”

He took a breath. “I don’t want to say goodbye.”

I took a few moments to reply, “I –I don’t know what you mean. We can always see each other again or we can write…”

“No, that’s not what I mean.” He said.

“Then what do you mean? Is there someone else?”

He smiled at me, “Maril, you know what?” He said, avoiding my questions.

“What?” I replied.

“When I first laid eyes on you, you were the one.”

The biggest smile spread across my face, but before I could reply – before I could tell him the same –he went on. “And I’m so glad that you’re the last person I’ll lay my eyes on. I love you Maril.” And before I could stop him, he shut his eyes, and never opened them again."


As the little old lady finished she whipped small tear that fell down cheek, she looked at the little girl that now was sound asleep on her shoulder.

She brushed the little girl’s blonde hair out of her face and whispered into her ear, “And that’s the end of the story.”

No comments:

Post a Comment