My Polyvore.

Sunday, January 2, 2011

Knowledge?

Today as I was helping my father clearing some trees from the side of the workshop where a lot of old fashioned pipes are situated, I thought; I remember when I was little and I used to climb over them without a care in the world but now I would be to scared to walk over them in case a snake would come up a bite me.That lead me to think of the book that I am currently reading; Frankenstein by Mary Shelley.

Though I haven’t quite finished the book, I can definitely make an assessment of it. It wasn’t what I thought it was going to be at all, it was quite the opposite, which is not always a bad thing.

Everyone knows the basic story of Frankenstein right? Crazy scientist Victor Frankenstein creates a monster made from dead peoples body parts.  It’s all horror and crazy scientist right? No I think that it’s quite the opposite, true, there is that basic theme, but it’s a much more in depth feeling of belonging and it’s rather heart breaking what happens to the “wretched devil.”

All right, I’ll stop spoiling the story -so that the next time you are in search of a book to read, you’ll know what to read- and come back to why this has importance.

As I said above, when I was little I would play in those pipes without a care, not thinking of the dangerous things that could injure me. Now that’s an example of knowledge being a good thing, but I’m sure everyone’s learnt something that they didn’t need to know (whether comical or malevolent) Here’s a quote from the book that really stuck.

“how dangerous is the acquirement of knowledge, and how much happier that man is who believes his native town to be the world, than he who aspires to become greater that his nature will allow.”

So what my question is, is knowledge good or bad? Yes in the sense that if you are able to be better (from growing to an infant to teen) but then when is too much of a good thing bad?

That was a pretty deep thing eh? On well, not to worry, right after I post this, I’ll get back the the norm –updates :P

I’ll leave you with a lovely quote from the book-

“The very winds whispered in soothing accents, and maternal Nature bade me weep no more.”

No comments:

Post a Comment